Saturday, July 09, 2005

Charlie Munger's "Independence"

Today was the day that I finally understood Charlie Munger's words about why he wanted to get rich. His answer was "independence"!.

At age 22, I got the opportunity of an explosive growth career... My career growth was not due to high IQ or because "my uncle" helped me to escalate the corporate ladder. Neither it was because of a stike of luck or any fortune teller wisdom. Today, I finally understood why. The reason: I was not afraid. Not afraid of making mistakes, not afraid that I may step in someone's powerful toes. I was "independent".

Long time ago, I read Charlie's words... I read them, they clicked in my head but never in my heart; until today.

Today, I realized that I was not independent anymore... Yes, I know we all think we are independent, but how can we be independent if we are still depending on our employees salary?. I also noticed that my career has not been growing at the same rhythm as before... The reason: Now I take more conservative steps, I'm not as aggressive as before, now I care about what my bosses think... In short, I'm afraid.

Nevertheless, today is a different day... Today is the day that I finally understood Charlie Munger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home